Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Moss Brothers Serve as Role Models to Youth

The Moss brothers--wide receivers Santana and Sinorice--have a motto that it’s the humble man who always comes out on top. Now, the Miami natives are working together to stay humble and keep kids on top through their newly formed foundation.

“I got my inspiration to make a difference at a young age,” said Santana Moss. “I always said that I wanted to give back to the kids once I got older. As a role model to them, I want to show them that we all came from the same neighborhoods, and if I can make it, they can make it.”

Washington Redskins Santana Moss established his Santana Moss Foundation in 2002 to help build a stronger America, beginning with its children. He said he’s always thought of himself as a role model, first to his two younger brothers and then to the young beneficiaries of his foundation. Now he’s teaming up with one of his brothers—New York Giants Sinorice Moss—and the foundation has become the Moss Brothers Foundation, focused on improving the lives of children in Miami.

One of the events held to benefit the foundation is the Moss Brothers Celebrity Weekend, an annual fundraiser in Miami that attracts some of the NFL’s biggest stars. The proceeds from this year’s event benefited the Moss Brothers Foundation and the foundation of the late Sean Taylor, former teammate and close friend of Santana’s. The weekend’s activities included the Moss Brothers Kids Day at the Movies, a community fair and a celebrity softball game.

“For the last few years we have been throwing a movie party for a couple of elementary schools in the Miami area,” Santana said. “My brother and I talk to the kids after the movie is over and give them the Santana Moss coloring book. The book has word puzzles and things they can do that deal with life situations. I have guys like Andre Johnson, Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee come out and be a part of the game.”

In addition to the Celebrity Weekend, the foundation holds the annual Santana Moss Football Camp, which provides campers with basic football skills in a constructive environment. The camp is focused on creating well-rounded student-athletes.

“My whole goal is not to touch every kid, because that is impossible,” Santana Moss said. “Hopefully there are one or two kids who remember what we did for them, and 10 years from now, they will also give back. If I touch every kid, then that is 10 times what I expected.”

For more information or to make a donation, please visit www.tanaman89.com/home/foundation.

No comments: